University of California, Los Angeles Los Angeles, CA 2015 - 2017
Master of Library and Information Science - Media Archival Studies specialty
California College of the Arts San Francisco, CA 2005 - 2009
Bachelor of Fine Arts - Media Arts / Photography specialty
Maine Media Workshops Rockport, ME 2003
Paramount Pictures - Stills Archive Hollywood, CA Oct 2017 - Present
- Preserving still photography and artwork for Paramount films. Working with film negatives and transparencies, photographic prints, posters, drawings and press kits as well as various file formats for born digital materials.
- Physical Preservation: Survey, Arrange, Rehouse and Inventory .
- Digital Preservation: Rename, Convert, Metadata and Ingest.
- Lead on projects with film distribution companies and stock image vendors.
Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Hollywood, CA Jan - Jun 2017
Film Archive Intern
- Inventoried, identified, repaired and cataloged the Frances and Frank Kallenberg Collection, a sub collection within the Academy’s Home Movie Collection, mainly 8mm and 16mm films, in preparation for telecine.
- Developed processing procedures and guidelines for future interns working with the Home Movie Collection.
- Identified film gauge, stocks, and condition; repaired film with perforation damage and tears with tape splicing.
- Researched and described historic footage; Cataloged in the Academy’s collections management software, Adlib.
Nickelodeon Animation Studio Burbank, CA Oct - Dec 2016
Archive and Resource Library Intern
- Cataloged collections using an in-house Filemaker Pro database.
- Rehoused delicate assets such as sculpture, and paper and acetate based original artwork.
- Created a Nickelodeon production specific finding aid template.
- Scanned delicate assets for high definition digital files; Presented delicate archive assets (acetate with acrylic paint, watercolor on paper, pencil on paper, digital prints on paper) including cels, storyboards, scripts, character model kits to the Rocko’s Modern Life crew.
Library of Congress - Veterans History Project Washington, D.C. Summer 2016
Digital Archivist / Junior Fellow
- Managed and refined digital preservation workflows for optical disc media from acquisition to ingestion.
- Measured and defined failure and success rates of media extraction from discs; presented findings in a poster session open to LOC staff and the public.
- Cataloged with Filemaker Pro; ripped discs using the MF Digital RipStation; created checksums and bagged files using Bagger; Ingested content for long term preservation in the LOC Content Transfer System.
USC - Hugh M. Hefner Moving Image Archive Los Angeles, CA Mar 2016 - present
Digital Archivist for the Ken Kesey Film Collection
- Digitize 500 reels of 16mm film and magnetic tape at HD quality.
- Confirm inventory; correct existing metadata with researched descriptions and condition assessments.
- Facilitate work flow between UCLA Film and Television Archive, USC Moving image Archive and copyright holder Zane Kesey.
UCLA - Special Collections Library Los Angeles, CA Sep 2015 - May 2016 Archivist Fellow for the Center of Primary Research and Training
- Appraised unprocessed materials of three collections in order to create detailed processing plans for physical and intellectual arrangement and description.
- Processed and archived over 80 linear feet of special collection material including scrapbooks, photographic prints, floppy discs, oversized maps and more; wrote finding aids and cataloged using Archivists Toolkit.
- Collections archived include John V. Richardson papers, Westwood-Holmby Historical Society records, Richard D. Baum papers, and Albert Goldberg papers which are all available on the Online Archive of California (OAC).
Presentation Services Audio Video La Quinta, CA Dec 2014 – June 2015
- Oversaw and managed teams to assemble large-scale audio/video exhibits, events and meetings.
- Utilized various computer systems, high-definition imaging, rigging, power distribution, component video, concert sound and lighting, Internet and network services, special effects, video conference equipment and more during technology installations.
- Problem solved technology on-site for clients, often during rushed deadlines.
Di Rosa Art Preserve Napa, CA Feb 2014 - July 2014
Producer / Casting
- Held casting call and cast over 20 performers for live performance exhibition by artist Desirée Holman.
- Planned, scheduled and assisted rehearsals to train performers.
- Assisted artist Desirée Holman with vendors for makeup, costumes, lighting, photography, and audio.
Frontier Fellowship Green River, UT Sept 2017
- Conducted 3 days of workshops to teach local residents about archiving and preserving their home movies (film, tape, digital) and photos (analog or digital). From these workshops I ended up digitizing up to 20 hours of home movie footage off of VHS tapes from a long time resident of Green River.
Project Artist / Community Foundation Grant Joshua Tree, CA Summer 2015
High Desert Test Sites
- Worked with four local high desert institutions to showcase archival materials from their records and collections in a public art setting.
- Performed an interactive 35mm reversal film slide show event where the local community identified people and places in the photographs for cataloging efforts by the local historical society.
- Computer Skills: HTML, Adobe Suite (Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere), Final Cut Pro, AVID, Microsoft Suite (Word, Access, Excel).
- Archival Skills: OpenText, DACS, CONTENTdm, Archivists Toolkit, Baggit/Bagger, FileMaker Pro databases, Adlib content management software, film and magnetic tape handling and repair, film and digital photography.
- Interests: Experimental music, camping, boxing, video art, and video synthesizers.
ARCHIVAL FILM CREDITS
The Long Strange Trip (2017) - Special Thank You
Center for Visual Music Symposium Sonoma, CA Aug 2018
I will be presenting my thesis paper on preserving video synthesizers at this symposium.
Archaeology of the Moving Image Workshop Hollywood, CA May 2016 / June 2017
An annual full day workshop for teaching amateur and professional archivists the details in preserving film, video and digital moving images. I have been a presenter at two of these annual workshops thus far.
Personal Digital Archiving Conference Ann Arbor, MI May 2016
Presented in a poster session on my artist and archivist collaborative project called “Archival Rites”
Association of Moving Image Archivists Conference Portland, OR Nov 2015
Five minute lightning talk titled “Archivist as Artist” on the importance of including artists in the archival process for the Access, Outreach & Use curated stream
UPLOAD.GIF: A NewHive GIF Festival San Francisco, CA Oct 2013
A 15 minute lecture on the history and future of the GIF
San Francisco Art Institute: Internet Tools course San Francisco, CA Feb 2013
A 3 hour class lecture on the history of internet-based art and introduction to my artwork
The Creator’s Project Festival: The Digital Museum round table San Francisco, CA Mar 2012
A panel discussion on digital art in museum archives
Association of Moving Image Archivists (AMIA) UCLA Chapter
Vice President during 2016 - 2017 school year
Special Libraries Association (SLA) UCLA Chapter
Vice President during 2015 - 2016 school year
Outreach Coordinator during 2016 - 2017 school year
The Crank UCLA film programming association
Film programmer during 2015 - 2017 school years
AMIA CONFERENCE, Volunteer
November 2016, Pittsburg, PA
ARCHIVES BAZAAR, Volunteer
October 2016, Los Angeles, CA
SONOMA VALLEY MUSEUM OF ART, Docent and Guest Artist
January 2014 - March 2014, Sonoma, CA
THE LAB, Curator and Event Planner
2009 - 2013, San Francisco, CA
EXHIBITIONS AND SCREENINGS
2016 - Speed Show curated by Aram Bartholl at iPC Internet Cafe, Los Angeles, CA
2015 - Ambient Exploitation at AcreTV.org, Tele-Novela: Abstract program
2014 - Buchla á la Mode at SomArts, San Francisco
2014 - Atlantis Rising (with Miles Votek) at Sonoma Valley Museum of Art, Sonoma, CA
2014 - Processing Pop Up (with Flynn O'Brien) at Sonoma Valley Museum of Art, Sonoma, CA
2014 - LPPTV, Buchla á la Mode, Little Paper Planes Gallery, San Francisco, CA
2014 - Atlantis Rising at Artist's Television Access, San Francisco, CA
2013 - Not Free Not Dead: The Psychedelic End curated by Nightmare City, HORSEANDPONY, Berlin, Germany
2013 - SPAMM Safari, Aria Rostami "Denizen", spamm.fr (online gallery)
2013 - Ambient Exploitation at DISJECTA, Portland, OR, curated by Eilish Cullen
2012 - The Field As The Frame, The Rake As The Raster curated by Matt Endler, Alter Space, San Francisco, CA
2012 - Not Free Not Dead: The Psychedelic End curated by Nightmare City,Tour through CA
2012 - Body Manipulations curated by Caitlin Denny, The LAB, San Francisco, CA
2010 - Black Hole, The LAB, San Francisco, CA (with Marcella Faustini)
2010 - The State, www.thestate.tumblr.com curated by Brad Troemel and Adam Cruces
2010 - Sculpture Storage curated by The Cave (with Michelle Ceja) , Lamama, New York City
2010 - Remember 2010?, The Gallery Space, www.thegalleryspace.tumblr.com
2010 - After Image curated by Jamillah James, School 33 Art Center, Baltimore, MD
2010 - We Are The World curated by Liliana Lewicka,Roots and Culture, Chicago, IL
2009 - No Promo, Reference Gallery, Richmond, VA
2009 - The Pleasure Is All Mine curated by Katya Bonnenfant , SpaceKraft Pompidour, Lyon, France
SELECTED LIVE VIDEO PERFORMANCES
2014 - San Francisco Electronic Music Festival, performance with HeadBoggle, The Exploratorium, San Francisco, CA
2013 - SMASHISM curated by Suzy Poling, Artist's Television Access, San Francisco, CA
2013 - Minimal Wave Fête, The LAB, San Francisco, CA
2013 - The CHASE, California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco, CA
2013 - Vibration Hackers (with #MAX) at Outsound Music Summit, San Francisco, CA
2013 - TurboSound, Project One Gallery, San Francisco, CA
2013 - The CHASE, The LAB, San Francisco, CA
2013 - Video/Sound Show curated by Miles Votek, The LAB, San Francisco, CA
2013 - The CHASE, Public Works, San Francisco, CA
2013 - The CHASE, The LAB, San Francisco, CA
2012 - Da-Da-nce Party curated by Dominique Leone (with #MAX), The LAB, San Francisco, CA
2012 - The CHASE, Public Works, San Francisco, CA
2012 - Da-Da-nce Party curated by Dominique Leone (with #MAX), Artist's Television Access, San Francisco, CA
2012 - The CHASE, Public Works, San Francisco, CA
2012 - HeadGrussleHansBoggle, The LAB, San Francisco, CA
2012 - Head/Head, The LAB, San Francisco, CA
2012 - Headboggle, The LAB, San Francisco, CA
2017 - Dire Wolves
2016 - Grant Early LaValley
2015 - Jeffrey Alexander
2015 - Avalon Emerson
2014 - Nicole Ginelli "Geisha" music video
2013 - Petejota "Siskatheewan" music video
2013 - Bezier "Silhouette" music video
2013 - Aria Rostami "Denizen" music video
2012 - Head\Head "Devil End Metal" music video
2012 - Dependent Art Fair, New York City, represented by Reference Gallery, VA
2009 - Xth Lyon Biennale , curated by Tolga Taluy, Lyon, France, www.mybiennialisbetterthanyours.com
2012 - A plank of wood… a ghost, a log, a splinter: scenarios
2011 - Post-Digital Being There: Werner Herzog, the Cave and Me, Pooooool.info, curated by Louis Doulas
2010 - JstChillin From Everywhere, ArtSlant
2015 - High Desert Test Sites: Desert Archive Days, Yucca Valley, CA
2012 - MindRoLLLing, YOGA Center, Gotenburg, Sweden
2012 - Body Manipulations, The LAB, San Francisco, CA
2011 - Read/Write, 31 Scholes, Brooklyn, NY
2010 - Avatar 4D, NOMA Gallery, San Francisco, CA
2009 to 2011 - Serial Chillers In Paradise, www.jstchillin.org
PROJECTS AND COLLABORATIONS
2012 to 2013 - The CHASE, An ongoing acid house dance party meets performance art event. I curated installations and performed live analog video projections.
2012 to 2013 - #MAX, Cybernetic apocalyptic ritualistic cult performance group with audio, video and programming. With Nicole Ginelli and Dmitri Svistula.
2012 to 2013 - DRÉKE, Video/audio sludgedome performance group. With Austin Mayer and Jimmy Wymington.
2010 to 2013 - PUSSYFISH FROST, Alter-ego.
2010 - ALREADY DEAD, Video and music performance.
2009 to 2011 - JSTCHILLIN, www.jstchillin.org, Online based curatorial project. With Parker Ito.
PRESS AND PUBLICATIONS
2012 - HEAD\HEAD - DEVIL END METAL on non-reality.com (essay with my video for Head\Head)
2012 - CHASING THE PHARAOHS, written by Derek Opperman for SFWeekly
2011 - INTERVIEW, interview conducted by Ceci Moss for Rhizome.
2011 - CHILLIN' 4LIFE, video interview and essay by Nicholas O'Brien, Bad At Sports
2011 - READ/WRITE, exhibition catalog designed by Hanna Nilsson and Rasmus Svennson,published by Nous.
2011 - MEETING JSTCHILLIN IRL, written by Will Brand for Art Fag City
2010 - TOP 5 - 10: ONLINE EXHIBITIONS, list by Ceci Moss for Rhizome.
2010 - THE CHILL ZONE, written by Brian Droitcour for Rhizome, an essay on JSTCHILLIN
2010 - DEEP SPACE, written by Ceci Moss for Rhizome, an essay on JSTCHILLIN
2010 - WE ARE THE WORLD, part of the exhibition We Are World, published by Nous.
2009 - AN ESSAY ABOUT CHILLIN', posted by John Michael Boling for Rhizome (web performance)
• Rhizome at The New Museum’s ArtBase, a complete archiving of the project JstChillin
• ArtStor, jstchillin.org archive
• Kota Ezawa, artist - "Fear and Trembling", video